Association of Psychiatrists in Nigeria (APN)
NEUROPSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL, P.M.B. 2002, ARO, ABEOKUTA. NIGERIA.
Phone: 039-245-25014 Fax: 039-241-778
The Association of Psychiatrists in Nigeria was mooted in 1969and inaugurated in 1970. At the onset of Psychiatric practice in Nigeria, many of the pioneer psychiatrists worked with government establishments within the University system and the Federal and State Government owned Hospitals.
The Country as of 1996 has Psychiatric units/department/wards in the following:
|1. Teaching Hospitals||
|2. Federal Psychiatric Hospitals||
|3. State General Hospitals||
|4. Private Psychiatric Hospitals||
|5. Registered Psychiatrists||
|6. Registered Associates||
MISSION AND GOALS OF THE ASSOCIATION
The goals of the Association of Psychiatrists in Nigeria include:
- To promote closer relationship among the psychiatrists in Nigeria and to foster the interchange of ideas and communication among them.
- To promote, encourage and undertake research in Psychiatry.
- To collaborate and where desirable seek affiliation with other Medical Societies and Associations, especially of Mental Sciences in Africa in particular, and in the world as a whole.
- To contribute to the improvement of mental health care.
- To encourage, assist and promote training of psychiatrists.
- To disseminate among members of the public, information on the cause, prevention and treatment of mental illness.
- To maintain a high standard of professional ethics, conduct and practice among psychiatrists in Nigeria.
- To encourage, assist and promote continuing medical education among psychiatrists and other mental health workers.
- Dr. (Mrs) Taiwo Adamson, President, 1999-2001
- Dr. Reuben Osahon, Vice President, 1999-2001
- Dr. H.T.O. Ladapo, Secretary General, 1999-2001
- Dr. G. Eze, Asst: Sec. General, 1999-2001
- Dr. (Mrs) Omigbodun, Treasurer, 1999-2001
- Group Captain B.A. Yakazai, Auditor, 1999-2001
- Prof. Ayo Binite, Editor-in-Chief, 1999-2001
- Dr. O.B. Orija, Ex-Officio Member, 1999-2001
- Prof. M.H. Ahmed, Ex-Officio Member, 1999-2001
- Prof. O. Morakinyo, Ex-Officio Member, 1999-2001
- Prof. Thomas Adeoye Lambo
- Prof. Tolani Asuni
- Dr. A. Kalunta
- Wing Commander (Dr) Moses llo (rtd)
- Prof. Ayo Binite
- Dr. B.C.A. Johnson
- Prof. A. Boroffka
- Education Committee
- Public Enlightenment Committee
- Business Committee
- Editorial & Publication Committee
- Committee for Zonal Activities
- Annual Conferences & Annual General Meeting
- Executive Committee Meetings
- Zonal Activities on Public Enlightenment Programmes including Conferences/Seminars/Workshops on Topical Mental Health issues.
- The Association maintains linkages with Government and Non-Governmental organizations for a coordinated approach to the provision of adequate Mental Health Services/Training and Research in Nigeria and globally.
- The Association is currently working to amend the Mental Health Decree(Act) which is to be forwarded to the legislative arm of Government for signing into law.
- "Fear the Mind Set of Nigerians" - Seminar
- "Psychotherapy and Counseling" - Workshop
- Annual Scientific Meeting & AGM - 1999
- Executive Committee Meeting of the Association - Quarterly
- Annual General Meeting & Conference - Nov.21-26,2000 Calabar, Nigeria
- "Early Identification and Treatment of Depression" - A Public Enlightenment Programme
- The Problem of Vagrants in the Society.
- Dealing with Stigma in Psychiatry
The following are the main publications of the Association.
- The Nigerian Journal of Psychiatry - Quarterly
- The Psychiatric Bulletin -Quarterly.