The Annual National Conference of the Indian Psychiatric Society (ANCIPS 2012) was held in Kochi, Kerala on 19-22 January 2012. It was attended by more than 3,000 delegates including accompanying persons.
- 84 symposia/lectures/workshops were held.
- 180 Oral Free papers and 90 poster presentations were made.
Prof. Dinesh Bhugra, WPA President-Elect, participated and gave his felicitations. The WPA Zonal Representatives, Dr. Walid Sarhan (Zone 12 - Middle East), and Prof. Solomon Rataemane (Zone 14 - Eastern and Southern Africa) participated in the scientific deliberations and inaugural function.
More than a 100 delegates from different parts of the world participated in the Scientific Sessions. A special mention of Overseas Delegates:
- Dr. Joseph Zohar, President, European College of Neuropsychopharmacolgy
- Dr. John Oldham, President, American Psychiatric Association, USA
- Dr. Dilip Jeste, President-Elect, American Psychiatric Association, USA
- Dr. Ndetei, Nigeria
- Dr. Sabyasachi Bhaumik, Medical Director, Leicestershire NHS Trust, UK
- Dr. Subodh Dave, President, British Indian Psychiatric Association, UK
- Dr. Seshagiri Rao Nimmagadda, Secretary, British Indian Psychiatric Association, UK
- Dr. Mathias Berger, Germany
- Dr. Anand K Pandurangi, USA
- Dr. Rudraprakash, USA
The WPA Symposium titled “Mental Health Challenges” was presented by:
- Prof. M.Thirunavukarasu: Challenges in the Developing Countries
- Prof. Dilip Jeste: Challenges in the Developed World
- Prof. Dinesh Bhugra: Global Mental Health Challenges
The SAARC Symposium was very well represented.
During the Conference, the new office bearers took over and the next Conference will be held in January 2013 in Bangalore.
WPA Zonal Representative for Zone 16 (Southern Asia)