The following are the list of activities of the members of the WPA Section on Women’s Mental Health.
Dr. Anita Riecher-Rössler is a Board member of our Section. She is also active as the president of the International Association for Women's Mental Health (IAWMH). The biennial conference of the IAWMH (www.iawmh.org) will be held in early March 2013 in Lima, Peru with the involvement of Dr Anita Riecher-Rössler, together with the Executive Committee of the IAWMH and the local chair, Dr Marta Rondon.
Dr. Anita Riecher-Rössler’s activities
1. Organizing symposia and workshops for the congress of the EPA in Nice, 6–9 April 2013, dealing with perinatal mental health.
2. Contributed to the EPA Congress in Prague in 2012 regarding cultural issues in women's mental health.
3. Organized symposia on women's mental health for the European Congress for Social Psychiatry in Geneva, 4–6 July 2012.
4. Invited speaker at the Catalan Congress on Women's Mental Health in October 2012.
5. Organizing different congresses in the German speaking world, e.g., the next congress of the GPGF to be held in January 2013 in Vienna.
Drs. Marta Rondon and Nada Stotland recently attended the international meeting of the National Abortion Federation (NAF) in Mexico City; she was the invited speaker. The organizers of the NAF conference recognized the importance of psychiatric issues surrounding abortion. The legalization of abortion in Mexico City will benefit women's mental health at least as much as their physical health.
Gemma Garcia-Parés and Judith Usall are members of the Catalan Group For Research In Woman Mental Health. This group is preparing the 3 Catalan Congress on Women's Mental Health (October 2012). Anita Riecher Rössler will present a keynote lecture at this Congress.
Presentations by Dr. Unaiza Niaz
1. Keynote address “Women's Mental Health in the Muslim World” at the 12th Pan Arab Psychiatric Conference (PAPC2012), 29 November-1 December 2012 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
2. She will also be a Keynote Speaker “Building Resilience in Women in Domestic Violence” at the WPA’s co-sponsored meeting "International Conference on Social Psychiatry in Egypt" in Cairo, Egypt on 28-29 November 2012.
Presentations by Dr. Donna Stewart
1. Presenting a keynote on Treating Depression during Pregnancy at the WPA Prague International Congress, and she is invited for a keynote address on Mood Disorders in Women at the Ottawa Women in Mind Conference in November 2012.
2. Dr. Stewart and her resident Dr. Katie Sheehan presented their research on “Turning Points for Perpetrators of Intimate Partner Violence” at the Annual Meeting of the Canadian Psychiatric Association in Montreal September 27-29, 2013.
3. Dr. Stewart has received a Faculty Mobility Award from the Shastri Foundation to teach at the National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences in Bangalore, India in 2013.
Dr. Josyan Madi Skaff will attend the meeting Crime, Gender and Mental Disorders Mental Health Day “Psychiatry & Criminality” on 24 November 2012, organized by the Lebanese Psychiatric Society in Beirut, Lebanon. She will be Chairperson at the Gender Based Medicine CME Workshop taking place in March 2013 which is being organized also by the Lebanese Psychiatric Society, in Beirut, Lebanon.
At the recent WPA Regional Meeting held on 13-15 September 2012 in Bali, Indonesia under the theme “Mental Health and Disaster: Beyond Emergency Response”, our Section did not have a chance to present a Section Symposium, nor could a Section Members’ Meeting be convened.
Dr. Helen Herrman was invited by the Indonesian Psychiatric Association to contribute to a Symposium and to a pre-meeting General Practitioner Symposium at the Faculty of Medicine, Udayana University attended also by trainee psychiatrists from Bali.
Chair, WPA Section on Women’s Mental Health